Pattaya Not Papaya





          Our first morning in Thailand was spent in Pattaya, the van that would take us there arrived at exactly 6am. It was a close call because I had just finished my egg's ben when we were informed of its arrival. While waiting, I took a shot of the the part of the open-bar that captured my attention.

           It was a 2 hour drive from the capital, so I just decided to put on my headphones and get a shuteye. On the way, I was awakened by my mom to disembark the vehicle while pumping it with gas. We would would need to stay at the shed a few meters away from the gasoline station. The reason was simple, it is a safety precaution so that when some hazardous event occurs at the gasoline station, the people will be far from harm.



          Not only was I impressed of their concern to the public but I've also witnessed that Thai people are organised too. It is manifested by making the cars fall in line while waiting for their turn to be serviced at the station.






         
          Since the Khaow Kheow Open Zoo is the nearest from the border, we decided to prioritise it on the itinerary. The word, 'open' itself already tells you something about the place. Some animals like the deers are free to roam around the area, so that people may interact with them. If you get too close though, they move away. Don't worry, they will not lay a hoof even on the tiniest strand of your hair.






          Maps are given at the entrance. Just by looking at the map may easily fool one individual into thinking that the size of the land is 'pretty alright'. However, the entire land where the zoo is situated is actually more than 2000 acres. It is quite unimaginable to tour the place by foot, so the best bet for one to enjoy their stay and make the most out of it, is through a vehicle. 

         I was really there for the penguins and kangaroos, so I was devastated when this illustration welcomed me. If I was a kid, I'd probably cry or throw rocks on this wall.







Then, there were monkeys. One of them even showcased his skills.








Meerkats love the camera #teammerkat










Drained ostrich eggs, hand painted by the locales are sold for 350THB. 


And this guy just tested for himself the toughness of an ostrich egg





The next stop is the Pattaya Floating Market. Famous for people who love to take shopping to a new experience. The vendors and the goods are on a boat instead of a stall. The management even offers a ride for a few bucks to tour around the place using a boat. The downside of the market is that you'll have to cough out 300THB before they will let you enter the place. That being said, we chose to just look around and not proceed inside the market, and on the way I met these cute little guys:


 The Nong Nooch Botanical Garden is not far from the market. We arrived at the location just in time for the festive buffet. Upon entering, you would notice the beautiful, well-maintained garden which expands up to 500 acres. The aerial view is stunning, so if you have a drone, I highly suggest you rent a bike and try to maintain your balance while controlling your flying toy.

Although the owner is a female, she is into sports cars. In fact, she has a huge garage dedicated to her collection ranging from hummers, classic mobiles and mini cooper. For sure you won't miss the garage because it is located near the entrance.

Kids who are by nature, hyper and playful have a specific spot too where they can run and be free.



A little after the feast, I managed to sneak out of the group while waiting for the cultural show to start, so that I can snap a few photos. For the duration of the stay in Nong Nooch, I intentionally did not take photos simply because I wanted to enjoy the show and absorb everything. At least I can say that I was able to take in information and trample down the misconception that Thailand is all about Muay Thai and elephants.






If you are in the area, a day is not enough to roam around Nong Nooch. Nevertheless, if you don't feel like going to the Elephant Village to interact with the elephants, I highly suggest you pay an extra fee to experience what it's like riding the gigantic, 4-legged, brainy mammals. Also, do not miss out on the cultural show and elephant show. They are educating and at the same time entertaining that is a sure way to remove the bad vibes.

Also, if you are looking for a driver who is well-versed in Thai, English and Tagalog, I suggest you give him Mr. Rendie Valenzuela a call. He's a Filipino who emigrated from General Santos City to Bangkok, 14 years ago. He owns a travel company dedicated to places in Thailand. He offers a bang-for-the-buck packaged deals like a $350USD per pax, minimum of 10 people



0 comments: