Share Your Blessings


          Every holiday season, Starbucks sets out a promotion which enables people to obtain a limited edition starbucks planner, enclosed with promo coupons. For every starbucks beverage purchased, one sticker is given to the consumer. A number of stickers must be collected in exchange of the starbucks planner.

          A long and winding line awaits the people who want to order their favorite beverage at Starbucks. Some are busy chatting, others, swaying their fingers on their gadgets. A girl in white uniform was ahead of me in the line. Her outfit clearly states that she's a nurse while her body language shouts that she has just gotten out of her shift. I didn't mind her. I minded my target -- the planner.

          It was her turn. She went for the counter nearest the serving counter. Then, it was mine. I took the counter near the food display.

          The barista did her routine questions and the girl in white answered in the affirmative, except for one -- 'Do you have a starbucks card?' She said no and was offered a new card, but she politely declined. Instead, she asked if she could just give the stickers to other people who would benefit in the promotion. The barista smiled and said 'yes'. The girl in white approached me and asked me if I wanted the stickers. Who am I to decline? That was equivalent to 2 stickers. I said my thank you and went for the serving counter.

          A couple of days after, I successfully completed the promotion and gave the planner to my mother. I frequent the coffee shop and some others are still itching to get their hands on the planner.

          Again, I was standing in line, patiently waiting to be served. Same old routine, same old questions. When it was time for the starbucks card question, I thought of the simple act of generosity of that human being who helped me finish my little mission. And so, I did the same thing--asked others who needed the sticker and share it to them.

          Looking back, not only was the girl in white able to share a blessing, but also, she became a good example of what giving is really about. Such act of kindness, no matter how big or small can go a long way and it will be remembered your entire life.

          Be a blessing to others not only this Christmas season but all year round.


"The perennial dictum is to spread goodwill towards all men. The irony of course is that this is contrary to our nature. So, why do we do it? Because we are being watched. And so, we unselfishly think of others, assured that our good behaviour will be rewarded with love and plutonium." - Stewie Griffin [Family Guy]



0 comments: